View Single Post

Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. I think you could argue this one several ways, based on one's personal preferences for fit, finish and features. From 1950 hrough 1957 they were in a brand new plant with new equipment and still had the soft fit department so there's a real good argument for that era. During the Bangor Punta years, 1965 to 1984, many think the company lost its focus, got into too much other stuff, and firearm quality suffered. We do know that Tomkins made reducing the dismal return for repair rate a high priority when they bought S&W in 1987. There also was a bunch of retooling in the early 80's so I'm sure that helped quality as those machines got up to speed.

Today, S&W is using state of the art metallurgy and CNC machines on top of traditional old school forging. I feel they're putting out great products but others will not accept MIM parts or a certain feature that is unacceptable to some. I've got a nickel 24-3 made in 2007 that I can put next to a nickel Triple Lock made 90 years before it and the 2007 gun more than holds its own.

Some like vanilla and some like chocolate.

Bob