View Single Post

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM

Liked 246 Times in 22 Posts

A Smith 19 4" has been my main CCW gun for a long time. It is about the best thing I've found for CCW, and I've tried a lot of things. But I confess to experimenting with a Browning HP using a new holster.

I carry the Smith 19 at 4:00 in a Kramer IWB holster, beneath untucked, button-up shirts. It has Herrett Jordan trooper grips. I find it very comfotable, largely because the grips are smooth and curved, so there is nothing to dig into my side.

I've tried to carry snub nose guns--J frame Smith and Colt DS. I find the 4" Model 19 to be easier to carry, all thing considered. The longer barrel prevents the gun from constanly feeling like it is going to tip out or flip over the belt. The 4" is a bit heavier, but that's not a big deal with a good belt and holster.

The best thing about carrying a 4" Smith is that you are not compromising on anything. Unlke a snubnose, the 4" lets you be as accurate as you are capable of being. .357 Mags can be controlled in that size gun, unlike some of the smaller guns, so you are not compromising on power. And it is more comfortable long term than a thick Glock.

I highly recommend it. Just work on finding a holster and belt, and don't give up too soon thinking that it is too heavy or big.