Thread: 4566 s&w
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Mine

Here's my 4566:

What would you like to know? This one's entirely stock and it's been reliable as all heck. I've never, ever, had any type of feed or ejection failure, it's been easy to clean and maintain and it's been a good carry weapon.

The 4566 is certainly heavier than other pistols of similar size if that matters to you. It's got a steel frame whereas others might be alloy or some kind of plastic. However, it's that steel that I like, that I want and that contributes to it's ease-of-use with a larger caliber.

I happen to have used mine pretty well. It hasn't been a safe queen, a range-only gun, or babied for its life. It's been used, but not abused. It's resided on my side and used for its designed purpose. Like Timex, it's always "taken a licking and keeps on ticking."

Otherwise, the 4566 has a 4.25" bbl instead of the 5" bbl found in the 4506. That makes it less nose heavy, but it will also kick a little more instead of the 4506. There's less metal hanging out front. I don't find it objectionable and as I mentioned it's certainly more controllable than any of the lighter .45's. However, I really don't subscribe to the old wives tale that .45's are hard to control.

The 4566 also has the same capacity of the 4506 in the same size magazine and grip. It's 8+1 in a single stack magazine. Yes, there are double stack 45's out there, but they have much wider grips. I find the single stack grips a better fit for me and much easier to keep concealed. That's a big issue with me.

So, is there anything else you'd like to know?

Here's another pic of the 4566 with a few friends, a Colt 1911 Govt Model (5"bbl) and a Beretta 92F, for comparison:

Last edited by Smith Pistol; 07-21-2009 at 09:32 PM.