View Single Post

Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Question Working up loads, remember that principle?

Well, I've had sticky loads too. Usually when I started out high with a load and then tried to work my way down. Is that how you are supposed to reload? Just wondering!

All sarcasm aside, when putting a load into a different firearm than the one that it was developed in, it needs to be worked UP again even if it is the same model firearm.

Case in point: I had two M586 6" barreled revolvers. In one I worked up "THE LOAD" and had absolutely no problems at all. No sticky extraction, none. No flattened primers, none, and yes they were standard ones. No pressure signs at all. Switched firearms and got both! Lesson learned. Work up loads per firearm. What is safe in one may not be safe in another. Everything made by man has tolerances. Stack all of those up one way and you get one set of results, put them in the "mean" and you will have quite different results.

Guns are individuals and need to be treated as such.

p.s. For clarification of terms; sticky extraction to me means that you have to use a tool or a bench to remove the spent cases. Is that what you had with the Keith load?