View Single Post

Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Hugh,
I went through this same process about a year ago, I have had Shorty 40s since they came out in '93/'94. I added a CS40 to the stable last year in hopes that the CS40 would replace the Shorty that I normally carry. Here is what I found, the bulk of the CS40 slide makes it a rather large pistol in comparison to my Shorty 40. The CS40 is 1/4" shorter in the slide, however the grip length is the same with the 2 pistols with the pinky extension on the Shorty magazine. If you put a flat butt plate off of something like a 4006 magazine it drops almost 1/2" off of the grip length of the Shirty 40 making it a shorter (grip length) pistol than the CS40. As mentioned the slide in the CS40 is just massive compared to the Shorty 40.

As far as quality the Shorty 40 wins hands down, being a PC gun the craftmanship is unmatched by any production 3rd generation gun. As SW CQB 45 mentioned the CS40 is a value line gun so the edges are as manicured and the machining isn't as elaborate.

$550 is a steel for a Shorty 40 in todays market, these guns normally run $700 to over $1000 when you can find them. My vote is for the Shorty, they are great guns. Mine are far more accurate than any of my production 3rd generation guns.

Here are a couple of pictures for you comparing the CS40 to some of my other 3rd generation guns...

CS40 compared to my 4003

Shorty40

CS40

You will see the differences in the magazine extensions on the two guns, the magazine on the CS40 actually sticks out of the mag well the length of the pinky extension. it holds a round under the pinky extension.

Both are great guns, the Shorty is just the pinnacle of the 3rd generation 40s.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by Shorty4T; 07-22-2009 at 07:47 AM.