View Single Post

Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,701 Times in 2,623 Posts
Default MIM trigger in 296 and fitting hand spring

Let me just add a word to 500 Magnum Nut's excellent post No. 2 above about hand springs inside MIM triggers. The 296 I was just tinkering with has a smaller and less complex configuration than the one in his example, and it took me longer than it should have to extrapolate from his pictures to my situation. Fitting the hand spring turns out to be simple if you know how to approach it, and an exercise in frustration if you just monkey around with it in the dark. Recommendation: if you have old eyes like mine, do this in a deep box in bright sunlight or under heavy desktop task lighting.

The hand spring has a short arm and a long arm. Put the short arm into the blind pocket that 500MN mentioned, and make sure the coil in the spring is back against the metal of the trigger; there is a semi-circular relief in the MIM part to accommodate it.

Then using a pin punch or narrow bladed screwdriver the same width as the slot in the trigger, push the long end of the hand spring back far enough to slip the two pegs of the hand into their holes in the trigger.

Then with the hand firmly seated, release pressure on the spring and you are good to go.

Sorry, no pictures. The next time I take the gun apart I will try to remember to take some. But really, if you remember short end down and coil against the metal, that's all you need to know to make reinstallation of the hand spring work.

Last edited by DCWilson; 04-17-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: fix duplicated word
The Following 4 Users Like Post: