View Single Post

Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

I just read the links you provided.You said it was not ALL about 296.....Correction......NONE OF IT WAS ABOUT 296.

The write ups you referred to have been well known for many years.Whenever greatly reduced slow rifle powders are used,the burning rate can change,at least in theory.No lab has been able to duplicate this to my knowledge but this is when someone uses a ridiculous undercharge that is very inappropriate for the case and bullet.

In another example,charges that are too light have been accused of causing blow ups when using Bullseye.No lab has ever been able to duplicate it.

After exhaustive tests,no lab can seem to make it happen.Now,getting back to 296......Hodgdon markets the same powder with one name and Winchester markets it under another name.I was using H110 in 1970 and the Winchester manual I referred to was printed at sometime BEFORE 1973.

H110/W296 are extremely popular and have been for a very long time.Come to think of it,Hornady and Sierra are two sources that give data for what many would call reduced loads with this powder.I wonder if they're losing sleep at night.

AGAIN....charges that are too light can result in TOO LITTLE pressure with a distinct possibility of squibbs.

None of this has anything to do with Bluedot.