View Single Post

Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM

Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
Lazarus,

This isn't really pointed at you, but rather everyone who posted something similar.

You are right, it doesn't seem logical! But consider this, don't you think the manufacturer of any product must have a really good reason to publish such specific recommendations/warnings about their own product? This is certainly not something the company would take lightly.

Witness Hodgdon and Winchester for years claiming there was no problem with reduced charges of H-110/296 in spite of masses of anecdotal evidence that guns were being blown up with reduced loads. That situation did not seem logical either, but it is widely known now that this does happen and both manufacturers now publish a strong warning about reducing loads for this (for H-110/296 are identical, same manufacturer), Winchester recommends not reducing more than 3% below their published maximums, and Hodgdon uses 5%. Both publish only a maximum load!

You, and anyone else, can do as you please with the warning, and I know you will. It seems to be, at the very least, exceedingly imprudent to not only argue/disagree but disregard and advise others to do the same concerning a warning issued by any manufacturer about it's own product.

FWIW, I have loaded Blue Dot in virtually no cartridge EXCEPT .41 Magnum for about 35 years with no problems whatsoever. There are other propellants which will do as well, possibly better in this cartridge than Blue Dot, why not accept their warning? It certainly was not issued frivolously or without much corporate soul searching!
You may be right but my personal theory on it is that some guys blew up their Model 57's with it and then commenced to give a piece of their mind to Alliant who then CYA'd. They know as well as anyone that people are going to use what they are going to use regardless. Why anyone uses it for handguns period is beyond me, it seems like there is a lot of evidence of it being pretty tempermental. IE hitting the extractor rod and having case heads pop out of the cylinder with loads that aren't over manual max.