View Single Post

Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 AM

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkymingeo View Post
But, how much penetration can you expect with lots of expansion, low velocity and pretty low bullet weight? I don't share the current fascination with expanding bullets. Maybe they'll expand, maybe they won't. Maybe they'll penetrate, maybe not. Maybe they'll hold together, maybe fragment. Whole lot of "maybes". I load about 95% lead non-expanding bullets, and the rest are jsp's. None will expand, all will penetrate. I'm comfortable with that.
I agree with you. When I choose a self defense round, reliability first, accuracy second, penetration third, energy fourth, expansion last. but then again, I'm shooting a 45, so I'm starting out with a noted advantage over a 38 Special.

I remember when Corbon started, they chose the Hornady bullet BECAUSE it penetrated deep before expanding, and they could push it hard. The newer bonded bullets hold together better after expansion.

My opinion is that the XTP bullet won't do much expanding at 900 or less. If you want an expanding bullet at low velocities, the Gold Dot Short Barrel (or low velocity) is going to give better results.