View Single Post

Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
US Veteran

Liked 218 Times in 110 Posts

“I don't have any idea why Blue Dot would be any more dangerous in one straight-walled revolver case than another, and it makes no sense to me at all. On the other hand, it also makes no sense to me that a powder manufacturer would discourage use of its product unnecessarily.

I don't have the answers, but I do have a jug of Blue Dot that will sit on the shelf until this thing clears up. There are other powders that work just as well---if not better---in my .41 Mag. That would be the one I wish to retain its structural integrity! “

+1---------- I have not use Blue Dot in years and have none on the shelf. I was going to get a pound in my pursuit of a 200 grain lead 10mm load, but why should I? It may be that they have hired a new bunch of lawyers, it may be that the .41 mag, is not worth testing because of usage, I neither know or care.
There are many powders available which will yield the same or better results many of which probably are on my shelf.
I do know that the likely problem is not detonation but a stuck bullet or extreme gas cutting. I believe this condemned the .357 maximum. It seems that the bullet moves so fast that an extreme pressure drop occurs which in effect extinguishes the fire, leaving the bullet in the barrel, but still cutting the strap. It’s a nice theory anyway.
In my old age I just avoid this kind of problem..