View Single Post

Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,325 Times in 615 Posts

For several years the blued version, the 6904, was our issued duty weapon. Same gun except in blued and steel slide instead of stainless slide. Both alloy frames. Our issued duty ammo was W-W 115 +P+. We shot tons of ammo thru ours.
It's like comparing driving your car everywhere at 100 mph or 50 mph. At 100 mph you'll have accelerated wear but it's not going to blow up. How much longer will your car run at 100 mph than 50 mph? No way to say. Your car at 100 mph may last longer than mine at 50 mph but generally yours will start having problems sooner than mine at 50 mph.
The 5904 is the blued full size version which was our main issued duty gun for several years. One of our range guys decided to see how many +P+ rds he could fire thru one before it quit. When he retired he had documented 80,000 rds. He had replaced the barrel at 50,000 as the rifling was pretty much gone and he had replaced springs. That's it. He bought the gun when he retired and is still shooting it as of last fall when I saw him last.