View Single Post

Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Drakekiller, I'm a new guy around here also. Welcome.

If your DA 38 is in good condition and functions properly, it can be fired with modern commercial ammo.

Things to look for are solid lock up with no looseness in the latch system, and perfect function in cocking and indexing of the cylinder. As you cock the hammer in SA, there will be a safety notch position encountered first, then a full-cock position.

As you slowly cock the hammer SA, or pull the trigger DA, make sure the cylinder ALWAYS goes to the full lock-up position before the hammer falls.

Also check the tightness of the hinge screw - not too tight, not too loose. I like to keep mine where I just feel a little resistance in the hinge when it pivots.

My 38 DA is the 4th model, serial # 395923, and I shoot it quite a bit, usually with low power reloads. Word has it however that the commercial stuff is loaded to low black powder pressure levels. The factory ammo seems hotter than my reloads, but both shoot very well in my gun.

Be careful, collecting and shooting these little guys can be catching.

Jim

PS, use only Remington or Winchester factory ammo with 146 gr. bullets, not other brands usually foreign, which may be designed for Webleys 38-200 loading.