View Single Post

Old 08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 774 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickahoney View Post
Actually I think you have the chronology a bit wrong.

Had there not been the 1st Model Hand Ejector Triple Lock in 44 Special, the first true "N" frame, then there wouldn't have been the 2nd and 3rd Model 44 Special Hand Ejectors and thus no Pre 24 44 Specials for Elmer and the boys to fuss with and therefore end up at the 44 Magnum.

The Parents of the 357 are without question the Pre War, Pre 23 Outoorsman in 38 Special and the good old HD. Without them they wouldn't have developed the 357 and the Registered Mag and then the Model 27s and Model 28s. So the 357 actually owes it's existance to the 44 Special.

I suspect they may have in fact come to the 44 Magnum even if the 357 Mag hadn't already existed for 20 years or so. That 1/8 of an inch was more to do with the prevention of use in older guns than actual velocities and pressures as I understand it.

Just a thought.

By the way I own several Model 27s, pre 27s and even a Pre War Non Reg Mag and like the 357 in the "N" frame platform just fine. ;-)

One of my few remaining Grail Guns is a Reg Mag but I'm just too cheap. I just need to win the lottery first and then....

I think you misunderstood his post. I believe he meant that if it weren't for the posts on 27/28's, there wouldn't be any threads on the front page of the 1961-1980 forum about N frames.