View Single Post

Old 08-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Having been a factory regional manager for both Cabot and Duckback (Superdeck) for the last 15 years --- I'll give you the benefit of my experience.
1st in construction of your new deck the best thing you can do is clean the wood with deck cleaner before staining and stain all 6 sides before installation.
reasons; even though it is 'new' wood you have no idea how long it has layed in a lumberyard or if the wood maufacturer allowed it to cure long enough before shipping. By sealing all 6 sides initally you leave no accessable edge for water or bacteria to wick in.
2) there are 3 types of stain transparent, semi-transparent and soild color. The more pitment in the stain, the longer it lasts. Transparent (3-4 years), semi-transparent (4-5 years), solid (5 years+)
3) darker colors last longer than lighter colors because they have more pignent to fight UV. Clears-- of any type generally last only 1 to 2 years.
4) clean the deck with deck cleaner late fall every year before the snow falls, this will kill all bacteria and mold and give you maximum time between recoating.

Personally I like the superdeck transparent products (1900/2000 series) the best, Sikkens/ Cabot and Superdeck all make a very good quality semi transparent stain of equal good quality and I think Cabot makes the best solid color stain on the market.

As far as Flood goes--- they were bought 2 years ago by Akzo-Nobel and the product made today is not the product made before. The old Flood company of Hudson Ohio made great products, but its gone now.

I would not Use the Thompson's product for anything.