Liked 33,979 Times in 7,972 Posts
Talking I love pie!

Convicted Felon Crust (Martha S.)
1-1/4 cups AP flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 stick chilled, diced unsalted butter
4 or 5 T ice water
Mix the dry ingredients (a food processor is ideal) and cut the butter and water in until it’s a gravely texture (don’t over mix and everything has to be cold when you start). Roll it into a ball, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate overnight. Divide and roll out when ready to bake.
-----------
Filling
I like to use the dark meat from a Sam’s Club rotisserie chicken. It‘s already cooked and I can use the drippings from the bottom tray in the filling (yummy) and then use the white meat for another meal. You could just as well flour and brown diced skinless cut up thigh meat and use it, but for $5 Sam‘s rules! I like to have the ingredients mostly cooked before I fill the pie.

Coarse chop onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms, brown in butter and set aside. I like to add peas and diced cooked potato to mine (frozen peas are best). Make a rue by browning a couple tablespoons of flour in more butter, add chicken stock to form a fairly thick broth (1 small can) and season to taste (salt, pepper, parsley). Add the meat and veggies, mix together and build your pie (don‘t forget to cut vent slits it the top). Bake at 375F for about 45 to 55 minutes (until nicely browned and bubbly). Cover the edge of the crust with foil for the first ½ hour so it doesn‘t burn.

Let it sit for a few before you woof it down. It goes good with milk or beer, but not both at the same time!