View Single Post

Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM

Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED View Post
For velocities above ca 800-900 fps I only use jacketed bullets to prevent leading. I have never been able to successfully drive lead bullets at ca. 1000 fps or above without expereincing leading.
For mild loads with lead bullets my favorite powder is Trail Boss. As a plus it is virtually impossible to double charge a case with Trail Boss. The Hodgdon website has excellent data for both starting and maximum loads.
It doesn't have to be hard to not lead.. We cast our own .44 and .357 bullets out of water dropped straight wheelweights (soft) and push the 175 grain .357 SWCs to 1300 FPS with absolutely no leading whatsoever. The 255 Keith .44 bullets have gone over 1400 with no leading. My suspicion is that lube and proper sizing make more of a difference than anything.I'm using 50/50 white grease and candle wax for lube and it works awesome other than being a little thinner than I'd like, but that is easily remedied by adding a little more wax. Have you tried Tennessee Valley? I've pushed their 158 SWC's around 1500 FPS in my 6'' 586 with no problems.