View Single Post

Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 AM

Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Between the two, I'd opt for the 125 grain JHP over the 110 grain. Better penetration, and I'd want my sights set for the heavier load, also more useful against big dogs and dangerous wild animals.

The Federal 158 grain is a fine all-around load, but the 125 will open faster in humans. Shoot a big boar or a bear, and the 158 grain might make the difference in penetration.

But if you're using this at home, do you really want .357 Magnum blast and flash indoors? I use Plus P .38 Special ammo for home defense. Currently, I have Remington 158 grain lead HP's, Federal 129 grain Hydra-Shok, and Speer/CCI Gold Dot 125 grain, all hollowpoints. I think all will suffice for frontal shots, but the lead HP penetrates best if one has to shoot a really big man, and might not get frontal hits. (Most civilian shootings involve frontal shots.)

How are Austrian laws on self defense? Can you get a license to carry a handgun at all, even when hunting?

T-Star

Well, here in austria it only legal to carry a handgun for hunting, but not for self defense. And thx for your tipp, it would be a great idea considering +p 38 special loads, they would be a much better choice for an indoor shooting scenario. I will try to get the loads you mentionted.

@Flop-Shank Thx for the tipp, I'll do that.

Last edited by agent00; 08-07-2009 at 03:00 AM.