View Single Post

Old 08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Cool I've had a different experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQUARED View Post
For velocities above ca 800-900 fps I only use jacketed bullets to prevent leading. I have never been able to successfully drive lead bullets at ca. 1000 fps or above without expereincing leading.
I need to send you some bullets dude!

I have some H&G #290BB that I drive 1580fps from a Marlin 1894 with no leading at all! There have been others that have driven my bullets above the levels that you post and they haven't experienced leading either.

Probably what has happened is that you purchase your lead bullets and they come in only one size and one hardness. Commercial casters like TVB make them differently than most, you can get harder/softer and bigger/smaller to try in your firearm. With me casting my own, I can do the same thing, hence, I don't have the problems you mentioned with developed loads/bullet combinations.

Did I have to work at it? Yep! Without being able to cast your own, you are always at someone else's mercy. I don't like that idea so I got set up to cast. You may want to do the same. Maybe you don't shoot enough to justify the equipment. That is understandable, buy from Jessie. He will help you develop a load that will work and be cheaper than jacketed.