View Single Post

Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inch357 View Post
Barrel lengths were 3 - 4" any difference from that won't make much difference. What does muzzle energy matter? Secondary fragmentation? Marshall & Sanow (and Ayoob has helped propagate this stuff) have really made a mess of self defense rounds and have never risen to any of the challenges others in their field have presented to them (I wonder why?). The 125 works very well as long as it gets there, which it occasionally hasn't done. Look, people's reactions to being shot are completely unpredictable; stopping power, energy dump, one shot stops etc is just nonsense.
Energy dump isn't nonsense. When handguns perform more like rifles (velocity and energy wise) their gunshots behave more like rifles. Look at the gruesome pictures in the link provided in the recent 5.56 ammo thread. All that was done by a 55 gr. bullet. I have seen an exit wound on a decent sized woodchuck that was a tear of approximately 5" long courtesy of my favorite carry revolver, a 5" 44. magnum.

Secondary fragmentation can affect a bullets performance greatly. Those frags can hit things the bullet never touched and could well cause a stop by piercing something vital. They will also increase blood loss. I've learned that bullets that fragment oftentimes have a smaller rec. dia. and by pushing a smaller front penetrate deeper.