View Single Post

Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Liked 380 Times in 120 Posts

I finally got out to the range with my new 15-22. I HATE when life gets in the way of having fun!

Let me start by stating something obvious...always read the manual when you buy a new model firearm. I've gotten into the habit of NOT doing that. After all...a 1911 is a 1911 or a Glock is Glock...

I had several issues with the first mag of 25 rounds. I had multiple FTF's and a FTE...along with one destroyed round. I was thinking that I had managed to get one of the dud guns!

Of course, I started searching for the reason why I was having issues. I started loading the mag the same way I had dome with the first mag full. Pull the follower down far enough to dump 5-6 rounds in at a time.

Well....WRONG!

The way the rounds stack into the 15-22's mag is that looking from the of the rear of the mag, the rounds appear as though you are looking at a double stack style mag. The rounds are laid on top of the follower in a V, when looking at them from the top. One round to the left, the next to the right.

When you load the mag, you must load it one round at a time...just as it states in the manual. I was able to load two at a time if I was careful but, just pulling the follower down and dropping in rounds got me nothing but heart ache!

Once I had the mag (there's something not right about only having ONE magazine!) loaded the proper way, I had ZERO issues. She fed and extracted the next couple hundred rounds just fine.

My gun's trigger measures 6lbs but has a nice clean break. I was able to shoot sub 2" off hand groups when firing fast...with some slow fire groups that had 3-4 rounds touching and 10-15 round group size around an inch, from 15-20 yards. Not too shabby for having a blind man pulling the trigger. I'm sure that from a rest, the 15-22 will do a lot better.

Field stripping and cleaning was easy, too. Pretty much normal AR.

One thing of note...I installed a Magpul MOE grip on mine. There is a gap between the lower receiver and the top of the grip...at the part of the grip that's above the web of the shooting hand. That part of the 15-22's lower receiver does not extend down as far as a standard AR lower. It doesn't affect shooting or function but, it looks awful!

Other than that cosmetic OOPS, I'm very pleased with the 15-22!