View Single Post

Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Liked 167 Times in 42 Posts
Default 5" Smith & Wesson Model 27 (4-screw) ~ 1959

This weekend I happened across a very nice (C&R) 4-screw Model 27 ("no-dash") that dates from 1959. It has an S-prefix serial number, and the harder-to-find 5" barrel. I hesitated a little before buying because the topstrap checkering looked a bit worn - turns out it was just dirty - probably from contact with holster leather.

The gun has Diamond Magna grips, numbered to the gun, and has a period-appropriate two-piece Gold Box (but marked for a nickel 5 inch), appropriate tools and wiper, and some paperwork that is a mixture of stuff from the 50's-70's. Mechanical condition and lockup is outstanding; finish has wear on some of the sharp edges, and on the bottom of the trigger guard (plus just a hint of muzzle wear) - looks like it was carried holstered for a short time, but the grips are in super condition as well (maybe replaced with Targets or Herretts/Ropers for a while) so they probably weren't carried on the gun.

The gun has a .500" target hammer and trigger, which I personally prefer. This gun won't be a safe queen -- but I'm not gonna shoot it loose, either. This one's a keeper for the next generation of gunnies.

--Neill

With my matching 5" 27-2: