View Single Post

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Exclamation Modern data for SR4756 = unburnt powder in barrel, period.

Frank,
Great report! THANKS!

I haven't used SR4756 behind any of my H&G #68 bullets yet as they are mostly for target (paper punching) loads. No need to hop them up to do that!

I have had the same problem with unburnt powder with SR4756 but only with current data. I found that if I used current data I got lots of unburnt powder and no where near the velocity Hodgdon claims for the same load.

That being said, I really like SR4756 in the 40S&W as I get great velocity with less pressure and since I shoot them in a Glock, that seems like a win/win for me!

I too have a 240gr bullet that I shoot but only out of my revolver. I have a M625JM and I use a load from the Speer #8 to hurl that bullet down range. I can send you the data if you want it. I get over 1100fps out of that 4" tube with them! I would say that is quite a whallop should something get hit with them! Here is what they look like:
(Sorry for the quality of the picture! )

Here is a short video of me shooting the bullets with Elmer Keith's load of 2400:
(Sorry this is just a little off topic!)

At any rate, SR4756 really shines at the top end of the data. It is "Uniqueish" at the lower end, meaning there is a ton of dirt and unburnt powder when used to this end.

Move up to the upper end of the data and things will get better.