View Single Post

Old 08-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Liked 9,092 Times in 3,363 Posts

Black Canyon is no longer made I believe.
I have used American Pioneer (originally was marketed as CleanShot) and it works as advertised.
I've used it in both M/L and cartridge loading about 10 years and am very happy with it. Flintlocks have a hard time igniting it but percussion and cartridge is no problem.

Many reports say it clumps up in the container and is rendered totally useless. It will clump a little but a gentle shake of the plastic bottle will make everything well again and it never seems to loose it's potency as some claim after the container is opened and seal broken. I have some old CleanShot labled stuff and it is just as accurate in my 44-40 Win73 loads as the more recently purchased Am Pioneer branded powder.

It is a sugar based powder as many of the subs are(Black Canyon was also I believe) and will absorb moisture,,, but so will BP. Keeping it in a dry place in storage is only natural for any powder.

I've never used Pyrodex or 777. Seems it's a 'love it or hate it' proposition when it comes to the BP substitutes and shooters.. but they have a good following too

I find it (American Pioneer) does what it says it will and yes it does clean up with a simple patch or 2 of nothing but water, followed by dry and oil. No fouling to gum up the works either. 100 rds and more in a revolver with no fouling is no problem. Loads volume/volume as BP.
I prefer it in cartridge guns because of the non-fouling aspect.