View Single Post

Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 AM

Liked 3,590 Times in 816 Posts
Default Setup

I spent the evening digging out the old .45-70 gear and giving everything the once over.

I found everything to get started but the confidence in my knowledge. there were some stout 2nd level loads that were made up for a modern Miroku made Browning 1886 and some medium 2nd level loads for the Contender, Along with 30 nickel cases that we loaded up for an 1883 trapdoor, or was it an 88?It was a very long time ago.

I pulled a few of the old 405 cast bullets from the nickel cases and they made a nice popping sound from the suction, the old Black Canyon powder had turned brown and was compressed in the case. It came out as a fine powder with a pick. The cases are currently in the tumbler.

There is a lot of corrosion on the brass cases from the BC and I found 4 cases with split rims, and I know pressures were not all that high since the seating crimp is still prominent on the case.

I'm not so sure I want to continue down the BP Substitute road.. I think I need more education. I'm going to just sit back cast a few bullets, size and prime some brass, and read up.