View Single Post

Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Well, being from South Georgia, I have to say my favorite bread is good old cornbread made from water-ground yellow corn meal. I used to grow my own corn and take it to a local mill that still used water power for grinding. I just about can't eat peas or butterbeans without a big old hunk of cornbread.

Hoecake cornbread is good, too. Just add a little water and salt to the corn meal and fry it in hot, HOT grease in a shallow cast iron fryer. It is supposed to lace up on the edges.

As a bread-history-trivia note, one of the major complaints of yankees and Englishmen traveling through the South in the early 1800s was the general absence of wheat bread in the region. Apparently, they didn't share the love of good old cornbread with us Sothrons.

My Mama's home made biscuits are a close second on my favorite bread list. She, her mother, and my grandmother on my Daddy's side all made wonderful lard biscuits back in the 50s and 60s. They made them about the size of a large cat's head, and a little butter with some home made peach or fig preserves made one wonder what the po' folks were having for breakfast.

I remember when farm families bought Martha White Flour and Lilly flour by the 25 lb bag. My Daddy said when he spent the night with his cousins, their mother cooked more than 100 biscuits every morning on a wood burning stove. This would have been in the late 19-teens and early 1920s. There were five or six boys in the family, and they all worked on the farm. They would each eat six or eight biscuits at breakfast, and take that many or more to the field with them.

Them wuz the days.