View Single Post

Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 PM

Liked 8,911 Times in 2,574 Posts

Okay,

flopshank, I've seen several shootings in which .380 ball penetrated all kinds of things. I've never seen it fail to adequately penetrate, as noted. As noted, I've seen cases in which the JHPs did so fail. I certainly don't think that I have enough shootings to support such a blanket statement as you propose, but that would be what I would suspect.

shovelwrench, beats the hell out of me. I've never seen a shooting with such a .380 load. I know that I feel good about the performance of 115-gr 9x19 JHPs travelling somewhat faster than that.

Sven, it's not infrequent that someone asks something like that. Personally, I would never do such a thing. I don't want any of my thoughts on the subject to be taken the wrong way, so I'll leave it at that.

Treeman, wow - that's surprising. I've chrono'd a few rounds from two different P3ATs and never seen that sort of velocity in that model with anything other than the Double Tap 95-gr ball (923.4 fps) . . . which wasn't reliable in the gun. (The Remington 95-gr FMJs were next fastest and did 818.9 fps.) I've never heard of anyone getting velocities like you're reporting out of a P3AT with 95-grain ball.