View Single Post

Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Lightbulb It's because they meet a certain standard.

Primers are rated by brisance.

Quote:
brisance:
The rapidity with which an explosive develops its maximum pressure is a measure of the quality known as brisance. A brisant explosive is one in which the maximum pressure is attained so rapidly that the effect is to shatter any material in contact with it and all surrounding material.
So their large pistol primers must meet or exceed a standard of that measurement, whether it's theirs or an industry standard.

I know that in my tests, and I've done a few, they work as well as magnum primers from other manufacturers in magnum rounds. In my opinion either they or magnum primers are needed for hard to ignite ball powders such as HS-6, H110/W296 and I know I am going to get some flak over this, 2400.

In standard loads they work too good! I usually get between 50 and 100fps more for similar loads with standard primers.

I know that the "patriarchs" of modern shooting sports, Keith & Skelton and others, said magnum primers weren't needed for 2400. Before you criticize what I've said, run some comparison test of your own, just make sure you do it over a modern chronograph. On mine, the ES and SD come down drastically when I use magnum or Winchester LP primers with it in 44mag. YMMV. (But I don't think it will! )