View Single Post

Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,795 Times in 475 Posts
Default Great Cheap .22 Rifle, Sears Model 25 (Pic)

Saw a neat .22 rifle in a local shop a couple of months ago, a Sears Model 25 semi-auto. The Sears Model 25 was made around 1963-1967 by High Standard for Sears, it is the same rifle they sold as the "Sport King". The butt plate even has the High Standard logo. This rilfe is different than a lot of semi-auto .22's in that it will shoot any .22 ammo as a semi-auto, short, long or long rifle.

This one had been languishing on the shelf for quite some time, even though it was priced at only $90. I thought about it for a few weeks, and decided to get it if the shop owner would demonstrate that it worked OK. We stepped out back behind his shop, he fired 10 rounds into a dirt pile, rifle worked good,so I bought it.

A more thoruogh wringing out of the rifle at the range showed it was a really good shooter, excellent condition (I don't think it had been fired much) very accurate and reliable. Groups at 50 yards run about 1 1/2 inches with the iron sights. Shooting .22 shorts in it is a hoot, it will take something like 24 shorts in the magazine, the rifle fires them with no malfunctions and to the same POA/POI as .22 long rifle ammo at 25 yards.

I thought it would be a nice utility rifle, something to keep in the vehicle, go canoeing with, etc, something that shoots good yet is cheap if it is lost in a canoeing mishap. It will fill that role nicely...

Here's a pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (65.4 KB, 8518 views)
The Following 13 Users Like Post: