View Single Post

Old 09-05-2009, 05:37 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,275 Times in 1,282 Posts

For range ammo, JHP's are kinda pricey. I would buy 230 grain FMJ for range use and a good 230 grain JHP like Federal Hydro-Shock or Bonded Tactical, or the equivalent from Winchester or Remington, for self defense.

Buy a box or two of your self defense choice (50 or 100 rounds at least) and make sure your pistol cycles it perfectly before buying any more of that in quantity. JHP bullets with a more rounded profile tend to feed more reliably than do bullets with a straighter, non-rounded shape.

There is little recoil or point-of-impact difference between standard velocity .45 ACP and Plus-P, within the same bullet weights, especially at most handgun ranges.

I carry a 4-1/4 inch Colt Commander at work most every day. The department issues (and requires) Federal Tactical Bonded and the loading in .45 is 230 grain Plus-P. We issued the same thing in Hydro-Shock before that. We shoot up our old carry ammo plus Federal or Speer 230 FMJ for training/qualification. I fired 4 rounds of it for serious one day and all 4 expanded classically, nearly 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Plenty of penetration, too. Other deputies experienced the same performance.