View Single Post

Old 09-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I took MY Jer's $140 M-10s out for another whirl today......

A buddy who bought one of the 4 m-10s I got from Jer's fell in love with it immediately.

He's an old Cowboy from eastern Oregon who is an extremely skilled rifleman (never owned a scope until I bought him one for his .22- shot all of his elk, deer, coyotes, etc with iron sights) but had never EVER owned or even shot a handgun before. I swapped the grips on his gun for the oversize packys that came on my m-15 because they fit his large hands perfectly.

Our first targets were simply sheets of computer paper stapled to a propped-up round of firewood. Distance was 50 feet, shot single action.

It took him 6 shots to feel comfortable with the m-10, and from then on he had no trouble grouping his shots near the center of the paper.

Our next targets were the sheet of computer paper with a square of "post-it" paper stapled in the center. I did this to help show where any errant shots were hitting so he could correct. I had him shoot 3 full cylinders. He ended up putting 10 of the 18 shots into the post-it.

The more he shot, the better he got. This, I believe, was a testament to the m-10's overall package. It just plain works.

We did a bunch of single action first shots with a double action second shot. No problemo.

It took a few rounds to get smooth in double action only shots, but he's progressing quickly.

Then we started shooting single handed........not a problem.

Next came single handed with our weak hands.....I was surprised to find that I could transition so easily and hit so well. My carry piece (an ambidextrous, compact, 1911 style auto) is not nearly as easy to shoot weak-handed. Perhaps I should start looking for a nice snubbie??

The icing on the cake was a childhood fantasy:

My wife and I both have m-10s that we bought a week before the big Jer's blowout sale.

Both were Oregon Department of corrections turn-ins with identical "Uncle Mikes" (look just like packys only slightly smaller) grips.

Holding one in each hand, I proceeded to alternately fire each at the target. When the smoke cleared, 11 holes had manifested themselves onto the computer paper. Could the S&W Gods be commanding me to take up cowboy action shooting?

Nah....

I have shot many pistols and revolvers. The m-10 (and it's dirty little sister the m-15) just might be the best production package to ever leave the S&W factory. How can you beat it for $140??

Oh, and I called Jer's and left a message asking them to put my name on four more m-10s when the next batch come in. SHHhhhhhhhh.......Don't tell my wife.