View Single Post

Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Liked 8,861 Times in 3,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
Being one of the geezers here, the forward tilt of the holster allows a more natural arm movement during the draw stroke. The first holster I'm aware of that featured this design was the creation of one Tom Threepersons long before WWII and probably produced by El Paso Saddlery. This holster rode lower than many concealment type holsters.

I expect the "FBI cant" was a marketing ploy after the FBI adopted a higher ride version of the same holster. If the Feebs use it, it must be the best, right? Besides, who outside Texas/Oklahoma ever heard of Tom Threepersons? Tucking the gun behind the hip near the kidney provides excellent concealment. Don't know about the 1950's, the Bureau recruited some real world gun fighters during the 1930's.
Tom Threepersons was a Texas lawman with a quite interesting history. The story is he designed the holster named for him and made a pattern for it using a piece of sheet metal, reportedly a flattened can. He took the pattern to Sam D. Myers, "Tio Sam", of S.D. Myers Saddlery in El Paso. El Paso Saddlery is the successor company to S.D. Myers. This occurred somewhere around 1916 as I recall.

If you Google Tom Threepersons there is a lot of information about him on the internet.