View Single Post

Old 09-06-2009, 07:50 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
My 686 no dash with 4" barrel has the extractor rod loosen after almost every 6 rounds fired. I find myself tightening the rod with every reload. I am not the original owner and I don't know the history of the gun.

Also, on occasion, when extracting empties, the extractor star will not grab the casing and will push past it. This makes removing the empty rather challenging as it wants to hit the star before completely clearing the charge hole.

Is this something that can or should be treated with non permanent loctite? Do you think I should replace any parts?

Thanks.
I would add to the other comments that it is VERY easy to do serious damage to the revolver by shearing off the locator pins or bending the center pins. An amateurish solution is to use empty cartridges in the charge holes when loosening or tightening the parts. The real solution is to get the special tool from Brownells which makes extractor and center pin removal an easy job. Remember - with guns, it is all about having the correct tool for the job.