View Single Post

Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

Tom Threepersons was born about 1887 in the Cherokee Strip area of Oklahoma. When he was a teenager the family relocated to Alberta, Canada where his father ran cattle. His father was ambushed and murdered by cattle rustlers who were later arrested, then released on bail. Young Tom Threepersons tracked them down to a saloon and shot them dead.

Threepersons later served with the Northwest Mounted Police, then relocated to Texas where he served as a peace officer in San Antonio and El Paso. He developed quite a reputation after several incidents involving shootings of bank robbers and other criminals. In about 1916 to 1920 Threepersons designed a holster for his own personal use and had it made by the S.D. Myres Saddlery Company.

During the 1940's Mr. Threepersons is reported to have declined a contract from Hollywood producers for a movie about his life. He didn't like the script, and didn't like the Hollywood types who wanted to profit from him. He passed away in the 1960's, leaving quite a colorful history behind him.

The Threepersons' style holster became the standard for American law enforcement and sportsmans' markets throughout the 20th Century, with variations made by every major holster maker in the country. One can easily see the influence of the design in many products still marketed today.

El Paso Saddlery (a very fine old-line company) continues to offer the Threepersons-style, as does Don Hume and others.

Earlier this year I located a photograph of Mr. Threepersons' original holster in a private collection. I commissioned several artists to recreate the original carving pattern, and I am now offering authentic reproductions complete with that hand-carving.

Approaching the century-mark, the Threepersons-style will not go away anytime soon.
Life of the party until 8:00PM