View Single Post

Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Liked 138 Times in 40 Posts

Smith 17 Did the S&W letter tell you what number was stamped into the gun for Detroit. I have no doubt it was bound for Detroit. I have herd stories of back in the day officers being able to order through the Dept for super cheap guns but never herd of them actually being Stamped Detroit Police with a stock number.

It sucks that the numbers were removed during refinshing. That is my dilemma with my Merwin Hulbert. At this point it will stay as is because to refinish it correctly is in the thousands.

Detroit actually has records back to the beginning. The problem is the guy I always delt with passed away a few months ago and the new people are less than helpful. If it was ever checked in to Detroit Police it's in one of those books and where it went when they got rid of it. I will make some inquires with a few friends if nothing else to see if there were ever any model 22's checked in.

I would like to letter my Colt Police Positive as it was returned to colt in 1927 for credit. I would be interested to know where it went from there if colt recorded that info. But their letters are not cheap one day I will get it.

Last edited by Aerojoe; 09-11-2009 at 03:58 AM.