View Single Post

Old 09-11-2009, 04:44 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default rough chamber, quality and legal issues

That looks like the drill on the lathe was either blunt, out of center or driven in with the wrong speed...

I've seen a lot of this over here: Germans used to be known as a people who admire precision in all kinds of metal-working arts. However, having seen the products of various German gunsmiths in the past, I must say that I'm no longer sure if our reputation is still justified.

I've seen a lot of rough surfaces, rattling slides, barrels riding on the link instead of the lugs in the in-battery position, uneven cylinder/barrel gaps on custom revolvers, barrels shaking loose due to having received too little torque during installation, cylinders having so much endshake that they sometimes rubbed the barrel end... The list is endless.

I don't know what's wrong with our gunsmiths, these days. I DO hope it's only a regional problem limited to Germany. It's probably due to legal restrictions that we're facing these quality issues, here. Once you've recieved and registered your new gun, you can't just return it as defective and receive an exchange. That's probably why customers are more willing to compromise. You'd have to go through a VERY lengthy bureaucratic procedure to unregister the defective gun and actually apply for a permit to recieve an exchange which then will also have to be registered... This can take months! All this totally depends on how friendly or customer-oriented your local authorities are. I guess I'm lucky to live in a place where authorities are cooperative, their representatives are all sport shooters or hunters and thus they and treat law-obiding, gun owning citizens with due respect and try to help them whenever they can.

Still - it's impossible to be issued a CCW, over here. You're not allowed to carry, at all. You'd have to prove that your life is in danger... The only proof accepted as valid is your death certificate... just kidding.