View Single Post

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 AM

Liked 85 Times in 26 Posts

I bought my 29-2 4" blue new from the then Smith and Wesson Distributor Chesire and Perez in Monrovia, California in 1973. As a peace officer, all you needed was a department letter and you could get as many as you want, same day delivery. Police price then, as I recall, $147.00. Came in a presentation case, with target hammer, trigger and Goncalo Alves target grips. Carried it for many years as my duty gun in a Safariland suede lined Jordan high rise (anyone remember those). Still have the gun, box and paperwork. But, that was then, and this is now.

I don't believe the 4" barrel was/is particularly rare. Perhaps fewer than the 6 1/2 inch, but not hard to find, even in the 'Dirty Harry' era.

A funny recollection is when I would qualify as required, every three months in those days, they would make me stand on the line alone or at the far end of the covered 16 position 25 yard range because shooters on each side would complain about the muzzle blast during the timed shoots. It recall using ear plugs AND head gear when shooting under cover.....a practice I continue to use today.

Sorry for being off subject, but though you might enjoy the story.
The Following User Likes This Post: