View Single Post

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Liked 888 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .38 Sharpshooter View Post
LOL. I was looking at ballistics data last night, and the Winchester website said their ammo is still carrying around 2,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yds. Looking at the Remington site at some rifle ammo, it's right on par with a .260 rifle. Slightly more than a .243 and a little less than a .270. Winchester didn't list any trajectory figures, and I haven't looked up any of the other ammo brands yet, but it seems like the .500 S&W would be a good whitetail round that can reach out a little further than a .44 Mag and have a hell of a lot more dropping power. I think Remington ammo was somewhere around 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy on the .44 Mag, but that was at the muzzle. The .500 delivers twice as much power at 100 yds than a .44 Mag has at the muzzle . I think I'll tell my wife that I need one in case I run across a bear when I'm out squirrel hunting, because you never know what you'll find in KY woods .
The game stopping performance of a .500 is far greater than its energy figures suggest. A .500 Mag detonates water jugs in a fashion that makes a .308 Win look like a pipsqueak and VASTLY outpenetrates it. At close range, a full up .500 Mag is in the same league as a .338 or .375 H&H on heavy game.

And your firearms "needs" are immaterial, if you like it and have the $, get it. Don
The Following User Likes This Post: