View Single Post

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 PM

Liked 214 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john550iw View Post
This is my first post so go easy on me. I'm a real noob when it comes to revolvers. I just won a 686-3 distinguished combat with 4" barrel on gunbroker and just wanted to find out everything I can about it. I paid $500 for a 99% gun. What is the difference between the distinguished combat and a normal 686?
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 686-3 4" too and like others I think the 586/686 Smith and Wessons are the best all around 357. I have all of the 357s from the K to the N frame. They are 66-4, 686-3 and a 28-2. They are all 4" barrels. I prefer the service type revolvers that were once carry revolvers for law enforcement. The only one above that is not a previous revolver carried by a officer is the 66-4. But the 19/66 were carried by many officers when the revolver was king of law enforcement. As the previous member indicated the distinguished combat magnum was just a name given to the L frame revolver. I think it was Smith and Wesson idea to carry on the tradition that the combat magnum started. My model 28-2 which is called the highway patrolman revolver, again was a name that Smith and Wesson put on the revolver to carry the tradition Smith and Wesson was famous for in law enforcement. Really, Smith and Wesson started with the Military and Police revolver back in 1899. This revolver envolved into the model 10. There are several books you can buy from Amazon on the History of Smith and Wesson and get a idea when a revolver was made and a basic value based on condition. All though I have other makes of revolvers the Smith and Wessons are my favorite. There history is very interesting.

Enjoy your new revolver.
roaddog

Last edited by roaddog28; 09-16-2009 at 11:47 PM.