View Single Post

Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default 100 yard .22 rifle?

Our member range has rifle target distances of 100, 200, and 300 yards.

I'm wondering what it would cost to get into a rifle that would consistently group respectably at that distance from the bench using regular sand bag rests and a scope? I don't need world record accuracy but enough that it would make recreational shooting pleasurable and not an exercise in frustration every time out because of inconsistencies. Though I understand there is some of that inherent in the rimfire cartridge and I'll have to put some time in finding the ammo that the gun likes.

At this time I just have run of the mill .22's - several Ruger 10/22's and a Marlin 39A.

I have seen some 10/22's that are capable of good accuracy at 100 yards, but the ones that I've observed had a number of aftermarket parts. I'm not particularly hung up on whether the rifle is bolt, lever, or semi. Although I will always have at least one 10/22 and I'm well vested in magazines and such for said rifle.

So I don't know if I should just put money into one of my 10/22's or if I should look at one of the bolt action rifles like maybe the CZ, or Savage? I'm not sure which way would be less expensive, although either way I'll need to cough up the bucks for the optic.

Thanks