View Single Post

Old 09-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked 520 Times in 264 Posts

Depends on what you want to spend and type of rifle you want- need a bit more information here.

Do you want a heavy barreled gun, or a real "bench gun" that is made for nothing other than target shooting?

An Anschutz 1913 with a wood stock would be hard to beat, and is what several guys in this neighborhood use- it is the top of line, but be prepared to spend some $$$'s! It's big, heavy, very specialized for target shooting and is something you won't be able to sell to anyone else unless they want this particular gun.

Now, down from this, you could find a good used Winchester 52 or Remington 40X in .22. Both of which are top of the line U.S. made guns. Both will also cost you big $$$$ to find one that isn't all shot out, or sold as a "collectors" item.

Some people have had some good luck with the Kimbers, whereas I, and many others in our club have not at all, and have wound up buying/trading for a CZ or two.

I have had a CZ-452 for silhouette for several years now, and will second them for something in the "base" price range and will give you good service for many, many years and there isn't very much not to like about them- steel magazines that don't split, decently adjustable triggers (more on that in a second) and generally look good.

As for the triggers on the CZ's- don't file or polish them at all!!!! There is soft metal under the trigger and sear once you break through the surface hardness. Just buy an aftermarket trigger and sear and install them for more adjustment if you need them. Other than that, the only thing I can say is they have become very proud of these rifles and they aren't the buy they once were.