View Single Post

Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Liked 1,237 Times in 449 Posts

My $0.02:
For accuracy on a budget, I'd recommend the Izhmach Biathlon:

Not much to look at, but it has a hammer forged, crowned and chrome lined barrel; also a quick, reliable & solid "toggle" breach action. The wood is cheap birch and the magazine is plastic, but I've had mine for about 5 years and it has been a solid performer and does well with Federal bulk-pack ammo. I think they're going for around $325 these days.
Next, I would recommend the CZ 452/Brnu Model 1:

This one, an old Brnu Mod-1, from around 1952, is a re-finished eastern European trainer with a cheap scope added to it. It's like a mini-Mauser and it is a tack driver. It's a bit more ammo sensitive than the Biathlon, but it meets the CMP Rimfire Sporter specs for weight whereas the Biathlon is a bit over. J&G had these a few years back for around $200. The new CZ's are quite a bit more (around $450, I think), but they are worth it (much better wood and finish).
About the only other 100-yd 22 that I could recommend based on my own experience would be the Win-52:

Mine is a 52-D (single shot). Expensive, heavy and ammo-sensitive; I've also recently found the trigger to be somewhat persnickety. But when all its stars are aligned, it'll group well within 1" at 100 yards.
All-in-all, I find that I take the Biathlon and the Brnu-1 to the range more often than any of my other rifles; the Brnu-1 for 3-position and the Biathlon more for bench shooting. -S2