View Single Post

Old 09-27-2009, 09:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

ajpelz, my thinking is that the rounded nose, plus less compressable nature of a FMJ would be what would redirect it if it didn't hit a bone from a fairly straight angle. Jim Cirillo talks about that phenominon extensively in his book, Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights. The sharp opening in the nose of a hollowpoint would, I would think help it "bite" into a bone and track straighter if it's more compressible nature didn't allow the bone to stop it. IIRC, Erich has mentioned this before (earlier in this thread, I think). If not, perhaps he'll chime in with his thoughts. We sit on different sides of the .380 FMJ vs. JHP divide, but I respect and appreciate his insights. The more I study ammunition, the more I realize that people well versed on the subject oftentimes disagree on different nuances of it, so you'll have to decide for yourself where you stand on the FMJ/JHP question in this borderline cartridge.

FWIW, people underestimate the ability of bone to defeat bullets. One of my friends had an AK bullet go through his steel pot from the side, bounce off the upper left side of his skull, then the inside top of his helmet, deflect again off the right side of his skull and stop halfway out the other side of his helmet. He got cold cocked, but he lived and recovered fully.

As far as the question of compact 9mms and .45s goes, I'll let the autoloader guys answer your questions on that one. I'm a revolver guy and many others here know the square guns better than I do. I'd certainly think a new thread would be the best forum for that question. As an ammo guy, I'm not hot on the .45 ACP in general, and definitely cold towards it in less than full length barrels. JOMO.

Last edited by flop-shank; 09-27-2009 at 09:16 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: