View Single Post

Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 AM

Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Default Uberti 1860 Army

Last year I bought this gun here in France. I have used it 4 or 5 times at the range. The last time I cleaned it I found that one of the barrel locking or locating pins had come out, and the other was loose. I couldn’t find the missing one, so I returned the gun to the shop where I bought it to buy a replacement and a couple of spares.

They thought there was a possible safety issue, so they kept the gun for the gunsmith to look at. That must be at least nearly 2 months ago. The last time I called in they told me hunting gun repairs were being given priority as the season was fast approaching (it actually started yesterday).

I am sure that there is no safety issue. Just replace the pin, re-assemble and start loading. It’s nice to know the shop are being cautious, but I am sure that there is no serious problem. I only wish they had told me it would take time as they had a backlog of repairs.

On 1 September I sent an e-mail to Uberti in Italy asking if this was a common problem, and asking if the pins were standard replacement items. I received an automated reply the same day. Since then nothing.

I also bought a stainless Pietta 1858 in 2006 and have had no problems at all with that gun. Remington clearly had a far better design than Colt, and Pietta have made a superb replica. I would imagine the Uberti version of that gun is equally good.

I just wondered if anyone else had had problems with the 1860, or indeed any of the Colts.