View Single Post

Old 09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

anglaispierre-

I thought you meant No. 23...

It's a poor gunsmith who can't fix that, and quickly! The comments here should fix that.

In original use, in the US Civil War, the Remington had a reputation for gumming up sooner than the Colt, but it may have taken several cylinders fired to cause that. I'm trying to learn more about that.

The solid Remington frame was certainly stronger, and the Army insisted on that in their new revolver in 1873.

Colts were held in high esteem, though, and were the most mentioned brand, from what I've seen. Col. John S. Mosby (CSA) mentioned the .44 Colts several times in his memoirs, but not other brands, although his command probably encountered them.

I have a Uberti 1860 Army .44, and it is better made than my Pietta Remington .44. But I have no easy access to black powder, so they are mainly collectors items, in my case.

On another matter, while we have someone in France to answer, do you see many Ruger revolvers in police service there? Someone on a Ruger forum asked that, but got mostly negative answers about the French people. I understand that both the SP-101 and the GP -100 are used to a considerable degree, in addition to Manurhin making a spin-off of the older Security-Six. (This is NOT their famed MR-73.)

Last edited by Texas Star; 09-28-2009 at 07:13 PM.