View Single Post

Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,032 Times in 1,002 Posts

You have to look at they bullet types you've mentioned. The Winchester, 98gn LWC is designed to be loaded deep in the case. A LRNFP is designed to be loaded with it's length probably half way out of the case. If you set a 98gn WC bullet next to a 100gn LRNFP you would see that the LRNFP is slightly longer. Not due to the extra two grains of lead so much as due to the shape of the bullet. The WC is shaped like a soup can while the LRNFP tapers to a flat point. Now envision where the case crimps on the WC as opposed to the LRNFP. With a 1.9gn charge and both bullets properly seated the base of the WC will be a lot closer to the powder than the base of the LRNFP. That's what is meant by headspace above the powder, the distance from the powder charge to the base of the bullet.

This is not an exactly precise example because a cartridge is seldom fired straight up in the air. But at least as I understand it the smaller the combustion chamber for a given powder charge, the higher the potential pressure. The higher the potential pressure the higher the potential velocity.

Now I said all that to say that in my opinion a properly seated 98gn WC with a powder charge of 1.9gns of powder, will generate slightly HIGHER pressure than the same powder charge and a properly seated 100gn LRNFP. Due to the relative size of the combustion chamber.

Maximum overall length of 32 S&W Long is 1.280". The 1.9gn w231 load you plan on using will probably prove to be safe starting point, but under strength using the factory OAL. The powder charge you eventually settle on will probably be slightly higher. Remember to work up in 0.2 gn increments with these small ctgs.

Sorry for being so wordy but 32 Long is the first handgun ctg I ever reloaded for my own use. I still have a fondness fr it.

Last edited by walnutred; 09-29-2009 at 04:47 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: