Thread: Model 52 loads
View Single Post

Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 AM

Liked 129 Times in 58 Posts

Yes, I load for a 52-2 and am having somewhat the same issues as you describe. The extractor looks fine under magnification as well.

I also believe that possibly it's not necessarily the sizing, but how the bullet 'expands' the brass after loading.

I have noted that the brass seems to have a slight bulge where the bullet is seated. (At least I can see something looking like a bulge if the lighting is right.)

I think that the issue lies there, since the 52's seem to be notoriously tight, it wouldn't take much of a bulge to be offensive.

I use Winchester brass and primers with a Hornady 148gr LHBWC.....now, and the issue has subsided, but is still there on perhaps 10% of the rounds fired. I was loading with 148gr LDEWC and had more than that, around 20%. (The bulge was more visible with those LDEWC bullets....maybe they are slightly over-sized, like .357, not .356?)

I clean my brass every time out with a vibratory, using NuFinish wax, which I think helps in the ease of running through the dies.

In talking with some of my co-shooters, they also shoot the same loading, 2.7gr BE, only with differing head stamps, without issue. I can't figure it out.

I tried bumping the powder charge from 2.7 to 3.0, thinking that may be the issue, but chickened out using them in the 52 because of the horror stories of leaving the HB skirt lodged in the barrel. (I did shoot them from my revolver and they were extremely accurate by the way.)

I have three different mags that I tried as well with no apparent issues there, they all failed at some point within that 10%.

Lubrication is done at intervals while shooting a mere 100 rounds, no difference....not limp-wristing.

I am very interested in some of the answers and look for enlightenment. It's very frustrating to own a nice gun like the 52 and not be able to enjoy to it's full potential.