View Single Post

Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Liked 214 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
Max allowed is 21,500. Current +P is loaded to 18,500 (so why all the fuss?). Current standard ammo is loaded to about 17,000.

So in other words, ALL currently made 38 Special ammo, regardless of the presence or absence of "+P" in the labeling, is loaded well BELOW industry standards for the caliber. This means ANY quality made gun in good condition can safely shoot ANY factory ammo currently being offered for sale.

I continue to be baffled at why this remains an issue. All one need do is look at the specifications for the ammo to realize NOTHING being sold by the major manufacturers is anywhere close to maximum allowable pressure.

The only reason the gun makers make all the warnings about +P (and all reloaded ammo, too) is that they are terrified of lawsuits. They down-load all 38 Special ammo to the point of being a joke. (Current standard load is a 158 at 730 FPS... 730 FPS?????? Some BB guns approach this velocity.) The +P is barely getting the 38 Special up onto one knee (still not quite standing up) and they issue all these warnings to protect themselves. If some numbnuts blows up his rattle-trap old revolver they can say "We told you not use +P in older guns." The fact remains that +P is A VERY MILD LOAD. It's loaded 3,000 PSI below max, for crying out loud!

I have shot a bunch of factory +P in various guns and all exhibited signs of being underpowered. Burn residue along the outside of the cases (there's a word for this) indicating that pressure was so low that the case never sealed to the chamber wall. Empties literally fall from the chambers by inverting the muzzle and shaking the gun. Factory +P is a LOW POWERED round. It's barely a target load. If restricted to factory ammo I would never rely on a 38 for personal defense because the +P is way too weak and wimpy. Where do people get the notion that a 125 bullet at 925 FPS is a hot load? WEAK AND WIMPY!!!! I load my 38s with the same 125 JHP at a clocked 1150 for carry. I have shot many hundreds of these through several guns made 1942-1949 with zero negative effect.

Yet the +P myth continues. I don't get it... I just don't get it.

I should just give up tilting at windmills.
As long as Smith and Wesson states on their website warning not to use +P ammo in 38 special on pre model revolvers this issue will keep on going.

It really does not matter the way ammo is loaded. I do agree that for the most part the current ammo in +P will not hurt a Smith and Wesson 38 special revolver as long as the revolver is in good shape. But Smith and Wesson like other gun manufacturers are playing it safe. They don't want some idiot blowing his revolver up and then sueing Smith and Wesson. Ruger had this happen with their Old Model Blackhawks that did not have the transfer safety bar. Idiot consumers did not listen and loaded this revolvers with six rounds in their holsters. The correct way was load five rounds with the empty chamber align with the hammer in the holster. Ruger was sued countless times over this. In 1973, Ruger came out with the new model blackhawk which featured the transfer safety bar. This allowed the revolver to be loaded with all six rounds in the holster without problems.

My point is this, as long as there are consumers out there that don't use their head the gun manufacturers have to protect themselves.

The +P issue will always be there.

roaddog28

Last edited by roaddog28; 10-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.