View Single Post

Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last night (Friday October 2nd ) I saw one in a very small local gun / pawn shop ( Plaza Gun & Pawn, Birmingham Alabama) It was in very good condition, obviously used little and taken care of. The guy in the shop (Larry) said he knew the previous owner and that he really took care of his stuff. It was obvious. This one had a J.C. Higgins 4x scope on top, it was also perfect and looked as if it had been on since new. I am looking over this nice condition,.. made in the US,.. with all steel construction (my reference to the current Ruger 10/22 rifles with their alum receivers and now plastic trigger group/housings) thinking, what a nice piece. My brother in law with me, got a crash course education on this rifle, he had the current blue book with him and his laptop. Built by Hi Standard ? He ask? The tag said 179.00 Who in their right mind would not take the Sears 25 in excel condition over a new in the box 10/22 dollar for dollar. I ask Larry what he would take for it and he said he supposed 175 cash out the door . So I bought it! The gun is worth 250.00 in my opinion. The closest thing I have seen to this craftsmanship and old school quality in a 22 would probably be a CZ.. If someone told me i could go back to 1966 with $125.00 and buy any then current production 22 auto rifle I wanted or you can have $400.00 to buy now, and it has to be a new current manufactured... You cant even buy a new Japanese Browning take down for 400..(Yea I think they are well made but again why buy a new $500+ when you can find good condition used Belgium for hundred or two more!) There was a time, years ago when you could buy a made in the U S product with the old build materials for a reasonable price, and that time has past and will never return. A cycle in the progression of a nation ,...progressing with the rest of the world. I am not a Buy American or Die kind of guy ,..the world is becoming a smaller place and our place in it changes / I am just glad that most people have little regard for pieces of history like Sears 25's which keeps the price down ,..has for years,
A friend with us noticed the listed value in the current blue book and told me I was paying too much for it, and he wouldn't give mor'en a hunerd fifty for it. I told him , ..." I tell you what big guy..I'll buy every one you can find in this condition and give you $185.00 a piece for 'em Now go an round em up for me !"
I have 47 no make that 48 now in excellent condition ... anybody want one at $199.00 a piece ? and You can buy as many as you want ?

That's what I thought.
Was it Will Rogers quoting Mark Twain regarding where to put your money...
"Buy Land, They Ain't Making Any More of it !"
Same principle applies.