View Single Post

Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Liked 3,829 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinko View Post
OK, I have chilled out...

The 9x23 load with 124 gr. bullet is getting only 1176 FPS, which is almost exactly what I got with the handloaded 9x19. I got to the point where increases in powder charges gave no increase in velocity or difficulty in extraction, so it appears I have reached the point of diminishing returns in the 2" barrel.

I don't think that any increases in length of the 9mm cartridge case will give any appreciable increases in velocity, at least out of the 2" barrel. They would most certainly give lower pressure, but the velocity just isn't there, at least from the velocity figures I have seen so far. It looks as though you can burn only so much powder in a 2" barrel.

By the way, does anybody make a true 2" barrel .357 Magnum?

Dave Sinko
The loss of velocity due to blowby is part of the compromise. I was disappointed with some of the results but at the same time I was quite surprised and impressed at others. The real stand outs for me were the Federal 115gr +P+ at 1174fps and the WWB 115gr FMJ at 1096fps out of the Taurus 905. To me that speaks volumes about the efficiency of the 9mm in properly chambered short barreled revolvers.