View Single Post

Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Liked 5,762 Times in 1,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhiii View Post
Art,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do the above "scores" mean? I mean I've figured out higher is better but how are they arrived at?

Tanx....

Edited to add: Forgot to say that it looks like a great time was had by all. Nice elk, congrats! Thanks for sharing.
The outfitter measures them using the formula for B&C. They measure the beam length from the base to the tip of the last point. Then they measure the length of each tine and the measure the circumference of the beam in 4 places and the spread of the rack. They do this for both sides of the rack and then they add up the scores which are in inches. So my 280 Bull had 280 inches of bone as measured following the formula. My Son Glenn's bull was a full 20 inches of bone more then mine as measured and his rack is taller, wider, and had more bone mass.

The outfitter told me that a bull that scores 270 is their base for what they consider a trophy animal. They really try to get their clients a bull in the 280+ category and a 300 point bull is what they are really hoping for.

When you look at the monster bulls in the record book there are bulls that score in excess of 400 inches and folks they are just that monsters.